Sunday, December 16, 2012

Our Week

This week has been one like no other. One of those weeks that you never expect would happen to you. Not at this age, anyhow. One of those hard, stretching weeks that makes the good weeks oh, so good!
Before I start I want to say how awesome God is. How much He protected me, my heart and my mind. I basically just held onto Hosea 12:6b  (NLT) which says  "And always live in confident dependence on your God"  For all I was worth.

My thoughts are muddled here, I know. Just stumble your way through it, I guess. 

It all started Monday morning. I knew that Bryant had been having difficulty sleeping but didn't think much of it until he said he wanted to go to the hospital. Oh! Yes. I'm wide awake now. He was bleeding internally for some reason. His hunting buddy called him up asking to use his shop for a bit and Bryant asked him to take him in. I never expected that he'd be in for another 6 days! I even loaded the crock pot with a nice meal for when he got home that night. (Which wound up in the garbage later on).  Obviously I know nothing about these things!

I waited at home with the kids. And texted Bryant throughout the day. I would have gone to see him but had the kids and my parents were on their way home from Mexico. Bryant got into a room. In the surgical unit. That caught me by surprise, to be sure! And they hooked him up to an iv, one to get him hydrated and one to coat his stomach in an attempt to stop the bleeding. Words like "blood transfusion" and "surgery" started floating around and I was definitely starting to realize that this could be fairly serious. But like I said, God protected my mind and my heart and I didn't do what you'd think would come naturally. I didn't expect the worst. Now, that's not to say that it didn't cross my mind because it most definitely did. But I didn't feel scared. A bit emotional and teary at times. But I felt covered by His love and protection.

They did 2 scope tests. They did the first one on Wednesday.  They did one down his throat and that came back clear. We got the results on Wednesday morning.  The doctor told us that he didn't see anything and that likely the stomach had healed itself and if his blood count was back up in the morning he could go home. In the morning his blood count was still too low and so they couldn't allow him to go home. Thankfully it was not so low that he needed a blood transfusion. But they let him eat food again. This was pretty exciting for us. So I headed over to the little shop beside the hospital to get him a smoothie and some sushi. And we had a little date together. It was a very special time for me. I don't know why it was so sweet. Maybe just because we were in it together. And good news is good news regardless of what the rest of the news could be. Who would have thought we'd be spending our 7.5 year anniversary in a hospital!?  They  had a spot open for another test on Friday  so they kept him another two nights.  He went in and had that done and thankfully that came back clear as well. By Saturday morning his blood count was back up and we were finally able to take him home.

It was a long week. The waiting and wondering gets to you. It was tough for the kids to see Daddy hooked up to a machine with wires sticking out of him. They had a hard time understanding the scope test. Maria wondered how they would push the button on the camera when it was inside him. And Danny was worried that it would stay inside him forever. It was hardest on Daniel. We kept expecting to take him home and then there were so many delays. Once he said "Daddy hafta stay in a hopsital forever?" It was so sad! Poor boy.
But we went to the dollar store and bought him some little ornaments to hang on his iv stand and that cheered Daddy and the kids up. We also bought him some little Christmassy things for around his room and that helped the place seem more friendly.

I stayed with my parents from Tuesday through Saturday am. They were a huge, huge blessing to me. Being able to stay with them was amazing and their support a lot of the reason that it wasn't as difficult as it easily could have been. Meghan was such a sweet heart and took Maria to ballet on Monday afternoon while I took my father-in-law to a doctor's appointment. (That was a gong show in itself as the doctor was delayed by well over an hour before he was able to see Ed and Meghan and Maria got stuck in traffic for a long time!) Maria was thrilled to bits that she could still go to ballet and get her star sticker (If the kids show up and are great 4 times they get a prize at the end of the month. This is the first month they're doing it so Maria really wanted that star!)And Meghan and Isaiah got to go in the class and watch rather than be on the outside behind a window.  Dean and Jason were such a great support when they came to the hospital and waited with me when Bryant was having the test done and then in recovery. Dean helped keep an eye on Ed (My father-in-law) and took him to visit Bryant twice. Ed lives on the same property as us and it was good for me not to have to worry about him. My amazing family, church family, home group and friends were so amazing to be praying for us and supporting us. Through messages and visits. We are so thankful!

My mom and dad were amazing and kept the days fun and busy for the kids. Keeping them entertained. And busy. And fed. They let me visit Bryant twice a day without the kids. They decorated Oma's Christmas tree and we went to the dollar store and did lots of coloring and fun things.The kids didn't seem to notice when I was less available to them. There were moments when I was really just in survival mode and didn't have much to offer. Thanks, Mom. I love you!

The last two days were especially hard as Thursday night I was up a lot with a stomach flu. Not fun. And obviously couldn't go to see Bryant. Mom pretty much had the kids a lot of the day. It was hard not to be at the hospital when Bryant had his second test and woke up again but it was good to know that he had 3 people visit him that afternoon and evening. Saturday I woke up with a bad migraine so that was a big disappointment as well. But I felt better after a nap and Bryant was able to come home at noon. Home has never been sweeter. It's been difficult. Bryant and I both are needing to recover. Him more than me obviously. But being together again with no real health issues is a blessing. I can't even say! I think now that it's all over I feel more emotional than when I was going through it. God has been so very  good.

Bryant took the kids over to see his "room mate", Chuck at the hospital.  The thing about being at the hospital is that you meet people and get to know them. Bryant was in a room with 4 beds. The people rotated a bit. It was hard sort of  to be there. One guy needed surgery and had been bumped twice. When I went to visit Bryant it was hard to hear him struggling just  to breathe because the pain was so intense. He did finally have the surgery and was able to go home, thankfully. One guy fell off his roof putting Christmas lights up, one needed knee surgery. But Chuck wasn't so fortunate. He had surgery. But they found cancer. This would be his second time fighting it. And they found that he had an infection in his bladder. And our heart aches for him and his family. He's really struggling a lot. And it makes our situation seem so tiny. Bryant gave him all the decorations we got for him to cheer Chuck and his room up. And he's there with the older kids who drew lovely pictures for him. They thought it funny that his name was Chuck as it's also the name of one of their favorite characters on a show - Chuck truck or something. Maria drew a picture of Chuck driving in Chuck the truck. And she had Chuck truck say "Get moving!" (Bryant had told them that he needs to get up and move around but is so tired and weak and sad that it's hard for him) and then by People Chuck (As Danny calls him) she wrote OK. She also drew a rainbow, sun and flowers for him. I will post a pic later. Esther drew the same thing. So lovely to see our little children caring about another that they'd never met and wanting to cheer him up. I'm so pleased Bryant is doing this with them.

Then also during this week we heard the news of the shooting in Connecticut where those children and teachers were killed and it really broke my heart! A lot because they were just children. Some the same age as my Maria. And my heart went out to the parents and families. And especially the little ones that witnessed everything. May God protect those little hearts and minds and bring healing and comfort to them and their families. May they turn to Him in these times. His love endures forever.

So that was our week. It was hard and tough but good. A good thing to go through. These times bring us closer to Him. So we carry on... living in confident dependence on our God.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Michelle!! I had no idea, and I'm so glad you had such great support for that week from your family and church family. So glad Bryant is OK - and especially glad that God gave you peace and assured you of His strength even through such a tumultuous week. It was a good thing for you of course, but it was also really encouraging for me to read that it's possible to be so "confidently dependent on our God." Praise God! I have also been holding onto that verse since you put it on my blog on Wednesday, although my week was nowhere near anything like yours!
    My prayers are with you, and I thank God for the strength and faith He gives you - it is such a good example and a comfort to many others besides me I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful God has brought you through this past week of hardship, and am inspired by your attitude!
    I think it is awesome what Bryant is doing with the kids for Chuck, how neat to be able to teach them through this situation- what a blessing! And what cute stories of the kids!
    Glad your feeling better too, and happy your all home together now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are all at home together and that Bryant's tests came back without any terrible news. God is so good to know when you need help.
    Your attitude to encourage Chuck is so encouraging to me. What a testimony to look beyond your own difficulties and see how you can help others in need. I'm also so happy that your mommy was able to take care of you, and your kids, again! What a blessing.
    Take care of yourselves and we are very happy you are in recovery mode.

    ReplyDelete