So here we are sneaking right up on Christmas already. I don't feel ready, though really I'm a lot more ready than I think I am ;) But here we are and it's almost. We have done lots, I feel like. Keeping busy, too busy in ways. I'm starting to feel a lot worse these days which reminds me that I am pregnant and really need to slow down.
We went to the Dykman's for a fun little Christmas get together. There were lots of kids and fun and my older 3 all made this super cute snow man craft. Danny first, then Esther, then Maria's.



We went to a Christmas craft day with the home schooling group that we were part of. I really wasn't sure how this would pan out as I had to take the boys with me and co-lead the 3-5 year old group. I was a tad nervous to say the least. But the lay out of the place was perfect and Thomas was able to wander without getting into much of anything and was really well behaved and Danny loved being old enough to participate. His only issue was getting a red name tag when Maria got green (The age groups were color coordinated and the older kids got green name tags. Green is his favorite color :) It was really fun to get together with some other like minded moms and get some support and encouragement from these lovely women that have really been there. I have lots of really close friends and family that are hugely supportive (Thank you!!) but haven't been there. Knowing people that have survived this and don't regret it is just the "pick me up" that I need sometimes :)
Here is a sampling of some of the crafts they did. They each did 3 or 4 but I'll not share them all. This was my favorite of Maria's. Then Esther's and then the cookies they decorated.




I have said before that Maria and Esther have been taking an Adventures in Writing course that they both absolutely love. I have been so impressed with their improvement and how they are rushing ahead in their writing and are really enjoying it. Here is a card that Esther made for me. She gave it early and it is so lovely. Obviously the teacher helped with the words but her printing is just lovely. She is learning too fast!


I took the girls to Curtis and Grace's wedding and they really loved it. Maria especially laughed out loud when The best man teased about Curtis' cheesy sense of humor and how he often laughs the hardest at his own joke. An example of his jokes was "What is brown and sticky?" The answer is: A brown stick! This is Maria's new favorite joke. So funny :) And I like that she can now listen and actually get something out of what's being said. Here is a drawing she made of herself with the happy couple. I especially love the bling ;)

Opa and Oma came home from Mexico so we went on over and set up the nativity :) A yearly tradition. Thomas and Isaiah helped this year. But somehow I only have pictures of Esther.

The next day we went back and made gingerbread houses at Oma's house. This year Oma bought a little village so that all the grandkids could each make their own :)

I just love Tommy in this one ;)

Isaiah's house. Without Isaiah. Sorry. My brain does not function well, these days!

Tom working on his.




Opa always loves this part and often comes to watch and admire :)

Our little village :)

We had a really good dumping of snow and the kids spent a good portion of the day outside. I am so thankful that Maria is so big and mature - she took charge of Thomas the whole time. I was having a really tough, sick day so she was a huge blessing. Bryant spent the day helping a buddy weld on a bumper. He has taken on the "Secret Santa" gifts with the kids this year. I cannot even tell you how much of a relief this is to me! And he has done more than a spectacular job, too! I cannot WAIT to show the things those kids made for their chosen people :D
Bryant also went ahead and took on snowman building for me. What am I talking about?! He always does!! Here they are in various stages of building. I went out twice while there was a slight give in feeling so sick and took a few photos. I sure do love this family!
The kids using their Tonka trucks to bring and level the snow :)


Just working on the final touches :) I had to send out a couple extra noses for the kids to munch on. I end up doing this every year.

And the finished product with the building crew. They made this snowman in the front yard facing the house so we can enjoy him much more :)

There have been lots of sweet, cuddly moments :)



My sister-in-law Brianna had Meghan ans I and all the kids over for a fun Christmas get together. This was the first all the cousins were together since Meghan was pregnant with Isaiah, I think! It was lots of fun and all things considered the crew did pretty well. I didn't get any pics myself, really but couldn't help taking this one of Danny and Olive. Haha! One of these things is not like the other ;)

We have continued on with our days of Christmas and learning about the Christmas story but I have decided to remove the pressure from me and we will likely be working on this going into the new year. But that's ok. I have good days and bad days but I don't want the pressure of doing 3 or 4 crafts on the good days to make up for the sick or too busy days. Please remember that I bought this as an e book and if you're interested then please see here: http://truthinthetinsel.com/
Anyway. Day 9:
We learned about Joseph and did a Joseph craft. We talked about how Joseph was a good man and God chose righteous parents for Jesus. We talked about how he might have felt when he found out that he was going to be the father to Jesus. I think this is Esther's Joseph with Mary.

Day 10
I could not understand this craft at all and I nearly skipped it and improvised when I finally realized the pillow craft was because Joseph was sleeping when God spoke to him in a dream. Duh. Haha. I just took a napkin and filled it with cotton balls as I was not feeling up to trying to figure out the complicated way they made theirs.
We discussed how because Joseph was a good and righteous man he wasn't sure what to do about Mary after finding out she was pregnant. He was going to call of the engagement. But an angel came to him in a dream and told him not to be afraid to marry Mary and to name the baby Jesus. Here is a picture of Maria's Joseph sleeping on his pillow.

Day 11.
God told Joseph to name the baby Jesus, which means "God saves". Emmanuel is another name and means "God with us" These two names explain why Jesus came: to be with us and save us.
The craft was simply to write down names (The kids chose friends and family mainly) and then we took pop up sparkly stickers and stuck Jesus' name over them all as He came to save each and every one of us. Also I reminded them that Jesus' name is above all names. This was my version of the craft.

Day 12
We talked about how the government had made a law that everyone had to travel back to their hometown for the census or to be counted. Every town was filled to overflowing with people and there was no room in any inn for Mary and Joseph. We did a small craft with a clear plastic container filled most of the way with rice. I adjusted the craft a bit and had the kids each choose two buttons and different colored smiley faces for Mary and Joseph. We then put them in the jar and shook it around and it was a way to show how they were just two little people among many and how it would have been easy to get separated or lost. And because there were so many people there to be counted there was no room for them at any inn.


Day 13.
Jesus was born in the town of Bethlehem. The word Bethlehem means "House of bread". We talked about how later Jesus called Himself "the Bread of Life" and we talked about how Jesus is the bread of our lives. Interesting connection. I did not know this.
For the craft we made a mini town of Bethlehem. with egg carton cut outs.

Day 14.
And baby Jesus was born in a stable and laid to rest in a manger or an animal feeding trough. Our King was born among stinky animals!
We made little popsicle stick stables with twigs glued on

And that's as far as we have gotten. We'll continue on after Christmas, probably.
I may try and sneak in one more post before Christmas. Or at least before the Christmas post as we'll be doing a couple more things before then. But that's it for now :)
Thanks for reading!
We went to the Dykman's for a fun little Christmas get together. There were lots of kids and fun and my older 3 all made this super cute snow man craft. Danny first, then Esther, then Maria's.
We went to a Christmas craft day with the home schooling group that we were part of. I really wasn't sure how this would pan out as I had to take the boys with me and co-lead the 3-5 year old group. I was a tad nervous to say the least. But the lay out of the place was perfect and Thomas was able to wander without getting into much of anything and was really well behaved and Danny loved being old enough to participate. His only issue was getting a red name tag when Maria got green (The age groups were color coordinated and the older kids got green name tags. Green is his favorite color :) It was really fun to get together with some other like minded moms and get some support and encouragement from these lovely women that have really been there. I have lots of really close friends and family that are hugely supportive (Thank you!!) but haven't been there. Knowing people that have survived this and don't regret it is just the "pick me up" that I need sometimes :)
Here is a sampling of some of the crafts they did. They each did 3 or 4 but I'll not share them all. This was my favorite of Maria's. Then Esther's and then the cookies they decorated.
I have said before that Maria and Esther have been taking an Adventures in Writing course that they both absolutely love. I have been so impressed with their improvement and how they are rushing ahead in their writing and are really enjoying it. Here is a card that Esther made for me. She gave it early and it is so lovely. Obviously the teacher helped with the words but her printing is just lovely. She is learning too fast!
I took the girls to Curtis and Grace's wedding and they really loved it. Maria especially laughed out loud when The best man teased about Curtis' cheesy sense of humor and how he often laughs the hardest at his own joke. An example of his jokes was "What is brown and sticky?" The answer is: A brown stick! This is Maria's new favorite joke. So funny :) And I like that she can now listen and actually get something out of what's being said. Here is a drawing she made of herself with the happy couple. I especially love the bling ;)
Opa and Oma came home from Mexico so we went on over and set up the nativity :) A yearly tradition. Thomas and Isaiah helped this year. But somehow I only have pictures of Esther.
The next day we went back and made gingerbread houses at Oma's house. This year Oma bought a little village so that all the grandkids could each make their own :)
I just love Tommy in this one ;)
Isaiah's house. Without Isaiah. Sorry. My brain does not function well, these days!
Tom working on his.
Opa always loves this part and often comes to watch and admire :)
Our little village :)
We had a really good dumping of snow and the kids spent a good portion of the day outside. I am so thankful that Maria is so big and mature - she took charge of Thomas the whole time. I was having a really tough, sick day so she was a huge blessing. Bryant spent the day helping a buddy weld on a bumper. He has taken on the "Secret Santa" gifts with the kids this year. I cannot even tell you how much of a relief this is to me! And he has done more than a spectacular job, too! I cannot WAIT to show the things those kids made for their chosen people :D
Bryant also went ahead and took on snowman building for me. What am I talking about?! He always does!! Here they are in various stages of building. I went out twice while there was a slight give in feeling so sick and took a few photos. I sure do love this family!
The kids using their Tonka trucks to bring and level the snow :)
Just working on the final touches :) I had to send out a couple extra noses for the kids to munch on. I end up doing this every year.
And the finished product with the building crew. They made this snowman in the front yard facing the house so we can enjoy him much more :)
There have been lots of sweet, cuddly moments :)
My sister-in-law Brianna had Meghan ans I and all the kids over for a fun Christmas get together. This was the first all the cousins were together since Meghan was pregnant with Isaiah, I think! It was lots of fun and all things considered the crew did pretty well. I didn't get any pics myself, really but couldn't help taking this one of Danny and Olive. Haha! One of these things is not like the other ;)
We have continued on with our days of Christmas and learning about the Christmas story but I have decided to remove the pressure from me and we will likely be working on this going into the new year. But that's ok. I have good days and bad days but I don't want the pressure of doing 3 or 4 crafts on the good days to make up for the sick or too busy days. Please remember that I bought this as an e book and if you're interested then please see here: http://truthinthetinsel.com/
Anyway. Day 9:
We learned about Joseph and did a Joseph craft. We talked about how Joseph was a good man and God chose righteous parents for Jesus. We talked about how he might have felt when he found out that he was going to be the father to Jesus. I think this is Esther's Joseph with Mary.
Day 10
I could not understand this craft at all and I nearly skipped it and improvised when I finally realized the pillow craft was because Joseph was sleeping when God spoke to him in a dream. Duh. Haha. I just took a napkin and filled it with cotton balls as I was not feeling up to trying to figure out the complicated way they made theirs.
We discussed how because Joseph was a good and righteous man he wasn't sure what to do about Mary after finding out she was pregnant. He was going to call of the engagement. But an angel came to him in a dream and told him not to be afraid to marry Mary and to name the baby Jesus. Here is a picture of Maria's Joseph sleeping on his pillow.
Day 11.
God told Joseph to name the baby Jesus, which means "God saves". Emmanuel is another name and means "God with us" These two names explain why Jesus came: to be with us and save us.
The craft was simply to write down names (The kids chose friends and family mainly) and then we took pop up sparkly stickers and stuck Jesus' name over them all as He came to save each and every one of us. Also I reminded them that Jesus' name is above all names. This was my version of the craft.
Day 12
We talked about how the government had made a law that everyone had to travel back to their hometown for the census or to be counted. Every town was filled to overflowing with people and there was no room in any inn for Mary and Joseph. We did a small craft with a clear plastic container filled most of the way with rice. I adjusted the craft a bit and had the kids each choose two buttons and different colored smiley faces for Mary and Joseph. We then put them in the jar and shook it around and it was a way to show how they were just two little people among many and how it would have been easy to get separated or lost. And because there were so many people there to be counted there was no room for them at any inn.
Day 13.
Jesus was born in the town of Bethlehem. The word Bethlehem means "House of bread". We talked about how later Jesus called Himself "the Bread of Life" and we talked about how Jesus is the bread of our lives. Interesting connection. I did not know this.
For the craft we made a mini town of Bethlehem. with egg carton cut outs.
Day 14.
And baby Jesus was born in a stable and laid to rest in a manger or an animal feeding trough. Our King was born among stinky animals!
We made little popsicle stick stables with twigs glued on
And that's as far as we have gotten. We'll continue on after Christmas, probably.
I may try and sneak in one more post before Christmas. Or at least before the Christmas post as we'll be doing a couple more things before then. But that's it for now :)
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment